Monday, April 2, 2012

Waiting to date


I have written a couple of articles for Project Inspired which is one of my favorite blogs. It's started by an amazing women, Nicole. She is a model in LA and wants to encourage young girls to be proud Christians. You can read her full bio here.
Anyways, I mentioned earlier that I decided not to date in high school and so here's a little more why. I originally wrote this article for the website (found here).


Should you wait to date?
This is always an important question to ask yourself and God. Does He want you to be dating right now? Or should you be waiting?
I made a promise to myself and God at the beginning of high school that I would not date at all during my high school years. I’m a junior now and have survived! 
Here is a little guideline of things that I’m personally keeping in mind while I ‘wait to date’ that I’d like to share with you all:
THE ‘WAIT’ LIST
What to wait for: An amazing guy who will love and cherish every part of you! He should know and respect that Jesus is always your number one man in your life.
Just remember this scripture: “For your Maker is your husband – the Lord Almighty is His name—the holy one of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth.” – Isaiah 54:5
Anticipate the hard part: While waiting, I’m often tempted to date in these scenarios: A guy will like me but I can’t date him; my friends (who are dating) talking about their dates; a cute guy at the mall, etc. Crushes are okay as long as they don’t take over and you find yourself trying to get the guy to talk to you and tempt you too much.
Another hard thing (even though really you know the guy’s not right): When one of your guy friends starts being interested in you as more than a friend. You need to remind him you’re not dating. He may decide not to be your friend anymore — which means he’s not the guy for you!
Pray, pray, pray!! Pray for your future husband! Pray for the qualities you seek in the man you want to love forever. Listen to God’s plan for you. He knows who you’ll be with: “For I know the plans I have for you…plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11
When you think you’ve found a wonderful guy: Pray some more about him and listen to God! Talk to your parents to see what they think. Talk to your friends to get an outside opinion on this guy. Talk to your youth leader or pastor for guidance. Maybe bring him to youth group with you. Be his friend first!
Here’s a quote from the book I kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris.
“Every relationship for a Christian is an opportunity to love another person like God has loved us. To lay down our desires and do what is best in his or her best interest. To care for him or her even when there is nothing in it for us, to honor that person’s purity and holiness because it pleases God and protects him or her.”

picture source

2 comments:

  1. I love this decision to not date in high school. I think it's awesome that you were able to make this decision. I think high school is a time to truly get to know yourself and what you can offer in a relationship. Although, college and time after high school can still be like that too!

    I didn't date in high school, but I wanted to. But I think I liked being single. Being single is a blessing; it gives you free time to discover what God puts on your heart and it gives you more time to work and do things for Him!

    I love your courage and your strength for waiting and writing about this topic!

    Hope you have a great day :)

    xo, gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strength is so encouraging Jessinia. I love this.
    I haven't kept such a promise, but I think its a wonderful idea to start in high school! I've learned a lot through the two relationships I've had, and while perhaps not the best, they've also helped me draw closer to God. Lately I've taken to praying for my future husband as well, and its given me a better perspective on dating. Right now, I am happy to be single and spend that time focusing on things that need my attention such as my parents, my school work, and my walk with God. Its important to cherish your years being single as well. Its a time in our life that is a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love reading your comments and respond (via email) to each comment!

Pin It button on image hover